Bimini Top Part 4

Friday night I did some testing of the binding on scraps of canvas and quickly realized I needed a heavy duty machine to complete this project - my regular machine was not going to cut it. 

I picked up a Singer 4411 at Joann's (conveniently on sale!) and this bad boy is able to get through the canvas and binding with no problem.

Saturday night I set up shop out in the garage and started working on binding the pockets. I thought I was going to need a binding foot, so I had purchased a couple different ones from Amazon earlier in the week...but it turns out all those American Girl doll clothes I made this winter made me kind of awesome at binding! I did the first piece with the binder foot and it caused the stitches to be way too small and a little uneven, but that's not really the fault of the foot - the binding I'm using is Sunbrella, which is thicker than regular cotton fabric bias tape. So, the foot isn't totally useless, I will likely get some use out of it on other projects; just not this one.

I got the main fore and aft panels sewn together and topstitched (I tried to photograph it, but it's just two giant pieces sewn together and it wasn't too visually interesting). I spent most of Sunday fiddling with the revisions to the garage door screen. I got the fore and aft pockets (which will zip to hold the top to the frame) bound and zippers applied. I'm heading toward the home stretch!

 Pockets ready for binding

Pockets ready for binding

 fore and aft pockets bound and zippers applied

fore and aft pockets bound and zippers applied

 Intermediate bow pocket sewn to the center of the fore and aft panels

Intermediate bow pocket sewn to the center of the fore and aft panels